Remind yourself constantly to watch your posture - whether standing, sitting or moving.
By achieving good alignment, you can avoid over-stressing joints or using the wrong muscles, which in turn over-stress joints.
Create a mental picture of how you should be standing as you check the following parts of your body – top to toe…
As you sit at your desk, table, or couch, reading this… ask yourself…
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and parallel
- The top of your head is reaching up towards the ceiling
- Your neck is long and relaxed
- Your shoulders are down and back
- Lengthen up through your spine
- Let your arms fall naturally loose and relaxed
- Check your neutral position of the spine - not tilted forwards or backwards
- Zip up and hollow
- Don't lock your knees – if you bend them they should bend directly over the centre of your feet
- Keep the weight evenly on both feet – don't sink back into your heels or lean forwards
Practice this position for a few minutes daily - it gets easier with practice.